We are first:legal.

We are lawyers who listen,

and we're happy to listen to you.

Frequently asked questions


How long will my personal injury case take to settle?

 Each of our client’s claims are completely unique and no two are ever the same.

Straightforward road traffic accidents, where liability is not an issue can usually proceed to settlement within a matter of a few months.  Workplace accidents and trips and slips can take slightly longer.


Complex and serious injury cases can take months even years to proceed to settlement, primarily due to the complexity of the issues involved and taking into account the true impact of the injuries sustained.


Ultimately the time frames depend on the following factors:-


  • Whether liability is admitted
  • The complexity of the individual case



Whiplash – What are the symptoms?

If you have experienced any of the following symptoms following an accident, you may have cause to make a whiplash accident claim:

  • Ongoing discomfort or pain in the neck area (severity differs from individual to individual)
  • Painful twitches in the shoulders
  • Difficulty moving the neck due to pain or tight stiff muscles
  • Light-headedness, uneasy balance and/or slight tinnitus
  • Headaches


It can take up to 24 hours for any signs of whiplash symptoms to kick in post-accident. Usually symptoms will only result in discomfort and pain temporarily, but some injuries can last for months, even years.

Victims of whiplash will often struggle to drive, exercise or carry out any manual labour - meaning you could be required to stay off work or require assistance in or around the home until symptoms subside.



Do I have to use my insurers nominated solicitor?

In short the answer is NO.


We are an independent law firm and take instructions directly from clients and word of mouth recommendations.  You can rest assured that by using us we will work hard for you and we answer to you and you only.



I hear so much in the news about whiplash. Is it wrong to make a whiplash claim?


Whiplash is a medical condition which can cause a considerable amount of pain, and have a significant impact on your quality of life.


It may be the case that you have to take time off work, which for many clients has the potential to cause great financial issues.

We are personal injury experts and you deserve the right to be compensated for the pain and suffering arising from the injuries sustained and in addition for any financial losses you may have incurred, such as loss of earnings.



What documents do I need to sign?

So that we can commence our investigations you will be required to formally instruct us to deal with your claim.  There are initial documents which you will have to sign and return to our office, these are as follows:-

  • Terms and Conditions – You will be required to acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree with our Terms and Conditions
  • CFA [Conditional Fee Agreement] – This document allows you to instruct our firm on a ‘No Win, No Fee’ basis, insuring you against our costs if we are unsuccessful.
  • Legal Expenses Form – We need to establish if you have legal insurance.  If you do not have existing legal insurance, we can identify if we need to arrange insurance



I’m not happy with the solicitor appointed under my motor legal protection cover, can First Legal Solicitors take over my case?


You should be aware that you always have the right to change your UK road traffic accident solicitor.  If you wish to transfer your case to this firm contact us today.


Do you only accept local clients?

No our services are available to clients throughout England and Wales.



I’m elderly and I don’t like to talk on the phone, do you offer home visits?

Yes, home visits are available upon request.



Got a legal issue, unsure where to turn?

Turn to us.  We have a combined 40 years experience within the legal profession.  If you require assistance with a legal issue OR require help finding a legal expert, we can help simply call us to enquire.



Should I use First Legal Solicitors or my Insurers Solicitor?


Throughout their extensive careers our people have represented and successfully assisted thousands of clients injured in accidents which were not their fault.

It is our opinion that following an accident it is always  best to instruct an independent solicitor to represent you, and not let the claim be handled by an insurance company.


We have our reasons. if your claim is handled by the insurer of the person who caused your injury there is of course a clear conflict of interests.


We have collective experience of dealing with insurers spanning over 40 years.


It is true to say that whilst we as an independent law firm will attempt to agree damages which accurately reflect the pain suffering and loss of amenity you have suffered, insurers on the other hand will be focused on reducing any award of compensation and unless you have independent legal advice how will you know whether the award which the insurers are offering to you is sufficient or not?


Insurance companies are extremely experienced in this area, the vast majority of the public unfortunately are not.



The Amount of Compensation


We are experienced enough to know that there is far more to a personal injury claim than money, but financial compensation is, of course at the heart of bringing a person injury claim.  Financial compensation can be awarded for the injuries but also special damages such as


·         Insurance Excess


·         Loss of earnings,


·         Loss of Holiday Entitlement


·         Care and Services [provided by friends and family during periods of incapacity],


·         Modifications to Accommodation,


·         Medical Equipment,


·         Prescription Charges,


·         Pre-booked Holidays,


·         Replacement Vehicle Hire Charges,


·         Replacement of Child Car Seats,


·         Miscellaneous Damaged Items


The extent of special damages claims do of course vary extensively from case to case.


It is not uncommon for clients to assume it is far easier and less hassle to deal with insurers directly.  However over the years many clients have contacted our people for a second opinion only to find that the settlement terms are insufficient considering the injuries and the losses the client has sustained.


The only way of ensuring that you get full compensation for your injuries and losses is to have an independent solicitor on your side with their expert knowledge and resources.





If you have any further questions, please don't hessitate to contact us or request a free call back via the form on this page.

Book a Free Callback

Simply fill in the brief form below and one of our Personal Injury Specialists will give you a call back shortly. It won't cost you a penny!

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

First Legal Solicitors Ltd. Authorised and regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No 634939

Registered in England and Wales No 10381298

Contact Us

Amber House, Green Lane, Old Swan, Liverpool, L13 7GD


0333 009 5262